Manufactured Intellectual:THE INSIGHTS OF A PR SCHOLAR.

Friday 23 October 2015

The Student Fights for Education:The Revolutionary Transformation.

Photo credit:Twitter.




As a University student myself, I can be the first to account that I understand my fellow student's frustrations over high university fees.I am in full support of the #FeesMustFall movement since, I am currently struggling through paying for my fees at the University Of Johannesburg, as such I am not seeking any sympathy from anyone, I simply seek to bring to your attention seeing your single mother struggle to make ends meat in order for me to obtain my qualification is hard to witness at times, this is also one of the main reasons I do not take my education for granted.Therefore, imagine those students who are in a far worse position than I am, does the government expect money to be available buy oppressing the masses with high fees? I beg to differ.
Furthermore, take into consideration a young vibrant and intelligent male or female who comes from a disadvantaged background where even a computer is foreign to them when they come up to Johannesburg, and thus struggle to adapt  to university life, on top of the already grueling academic expectations, now they must struggle right through the year as they do not know where the money for their fees will come from, do the institutions of higher learning take this into account when hiking university fees?
Imagine excluding a potential breadwinner from obtaining an education that could break the poverty cycle at home.
The other day, as I was about to write my exam I overheard some of my fellow students saying "all those protesting are doing this for trend purposes" well, excuse since when did the fight for your education become about trends? this matter is bigger than any trend, if whites, coulards, indians, as well as other races outside of South African shores come to support the movement.I believe we need to re-evaluate our perceptions concerning race in South Africa.


High school pupils in solidarity with the #FeesMustFall movement.  
 Nevertheless, as the above photograph illustrates this fight is not only going to affect the current generation of university students, but the coming one who if we do not continue the good fight will question us in future saying "why did you not fight when you had the chance"?
Honestly, as Khaya Dlanga put it on Twitter the other day "if we can justify Nkandla, we can justify #FeesMustFall" how long will government ignore the cries of the oppressed economically? public servants spend funds on luxury expenses, yet fail to pump capital into educating students? so the Minster of Finance would rather pump capital into nuclear programs which do not benefit us in anyway worse part its being given to Russia.
Do we have to be teargassed by the police to be taken seriously? how can South Africans produce Doctors, Lawyers, educated "politicians" to lead South Africa tomorrow.I am not in support of violent protests of any nature students should protest in a non-violent manner.
Excluding the black child from the education system entirely would make them underclass in society, in a way you are disempowering them
It is time our leaders take charge of the situation, and stop losing touch touch reality, how can Parliament continue as usual whilst students are outside fighting for their education?
To have Minister Blade Nzimande utter the words "students must fall" in a joking manner, suggests to me this movement is nothing significant to him.Is he not a leader of the South African Communist Party?
Ultimately, this is not the time for political mudslinging, political agendas must take a back seat this is OUR movement as students, this is a revolutionary period which requires extraordinary coalition, let us not loose touch of our objectives as students.
After witnessing police opened fire on unarmed students at UJ Soweto campus planted images of the apartheid regime, it ,made me realize that both generations are similar with struggles.
I for one can concur with the students anger over high university fees, had it not been for the grace of GOD, I might have dropped out university in 2013.
ALUTA CONTIUA.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment